Mobility is known to have a positive impact on the socio-economic aspects leading to faster GDP growth. There are several research reports from management consultants and the academicians that help us understand this phenomena better. Listed below are a few of the reports and white papers that are considered as pioneers in this area:
1. Mobile Internet for Growth: This project work from Bain & Co was presented in the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting, 2009. The reports details the mobile internet landscape and the socio-economic impact of mobile internet. Click here to download the report
2. Vodafone’s Social Economic Impact Project Report– This project had aimed to study the socio-economic impact of access to communications in emerging markets. Click here to download Vodafone SIM report
3. India: Impact of Mobile Phones: This report form ICRIER studies the impact of mobile phones on the economic development of various states/provinces of India. It estimates that the impact on economic growth of states could be as high as up to 1.2% for every 10% increase in mobile penetration. Click here to download the report.
4. McKinsey Report on Economic Impact of Wireless Phones: Published in Dec, 2006, this study was conducted in China, India and Philippines. It estimated that if other factors were to remain same, 10% higher penetration can translate into a 0.59% increase in GDP. Click the link McKinsey Wireless Unbound to download the report.
5. Deloitte has released a report on economic impact of mobility in Australia in Feb, 2013 Click here to download Deloitte Report on Impact of Mobility.